Focus: Your heart. Your team. Your TCA.
Back to Physicians Page
J. David Burkhardt, M.D., F.A.C.C.
I often see patients who have been told they have no other option or hope. Nothing is more rewarding than when I am able to make them feel better.
Dr. J. David Burkhardt selected his path in medicine because he loves a challenge. As he learned about Cardiac Electrophysiology, he found it challenging and cerebral and was intrigued. As he began to practice Cardiac Electrophysiology, he saw patients who had been told they had no hope; he was able to help them, and he was hooked.
Dr. Burkhardt received his medical degree from the University of Louisville School of Medicine. He completed his residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Iowa in Iowa City. He then completed fellowships in Cardiovascular Medicine and Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology from the University of Kentucky’s Chandler Medical Center in Lexington and the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, respectively.
After completing his training, Dr. Burkhardt accepted a staff position in Cardiovascular Medicine as an Electrophysiologist at the Cleveland Clinic. In 2005, he was named Associate Program Director for the Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology Fellowship training program and director of Clinical Electrophysiology curriculum at the Lerner Case Western Reserve School of Medicine at The Cleveland Clinic. He has authored or co-authored more than 30 peer-reviewed publications, 10 book chapters, 100 abstracts, and has presented at numerous national and international meetings.
As challenging as he finds the practice of Cardiac Electrophysiology, Dr. Burkhardt also says it’s easy, because he loves what he does. If you love helping people, he says, if you love advancing science and changing the practice of medicine, then all obstacles are minor.
- M.D., University of Louisville, School of Medicine, Louisville, KY
- Residency (Internal Medicine), University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA
- Fellowship (Cardiovascular Medicine), University of Kentucky, Chandler Medical Center, Lexington, KY
- Fellowship (Electrophysiology), The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology, Cleveland, OH
- Marquis Who’s Who in America, 2009
- Guide to America’s Top Cardiologists, 2006 & 2007
- American College of Cardiology, 2005 Fellow
- NASPE Advanced Training Clinical Fellowship Award
- Chief Fellow in Cardiology, University of Kentucky, 2001 & 2002
- Chief Resident’s Award of Excellence, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease and Cardiac Electrophysiology)
- Heart Rhythm Society
- St. Jude Ablation
- St. Jude Cardiac Arrhythmias and Beyond
- Biosense Webster Emerging Leaders